Friday, January 8, 2010

Through a scanner darkly...

This morning it was made official, the not so small smalltown of Saskatoon has been scheduled to recieve a full body scanner for it's John Diefenbaker airport.  It did not come as a surprise but was nonetheless dismaying to read about.  "Well, there goes air travel for our family!"  I wondered if there was anyone else, other than my facebook friends, who would agree with me.  Did people know?  I mean, really know just how much of the human body is shown by these things?  I decided to find out by listening to our local talk-radio station.  Well, there were certainly lots of hot comments coming from people who were outraged over the courts decision to let the Saskatchewan Roughriders GM off lightly for his assault on a 16 year old girl.  This is encouraging, I thought!  The whole scanner issue would be sure to ruffle a few feathers.  Boy was I wrong.  I got a very polite intro to the topic I was going to be talking to the host about only to find that I could only get a few comments out before getting cut off.  Wow, well, I guess I know how this is going to go down.  People will, it seems, think it's not ok for the GM of our favorite football team to treat a 16 year old babysitter as a sexual object, but ok to put our wives, mothers, sisters, daughters through a machine that shows their naked bodies to some airport staff members.  Ah, but there's an alternative!  If you object, you can go into a private room for a pat-down. 
Another point of contention is that this so-called terrorist attack occurred in the US.  Whatever in the world made the Canadian government jump on that bandwagon without a proper review?  Oh, right, I forgot...the parliament is currently prorogued...the PM doesn't have to answer to parliament.

For the record, I will drive to visit family from now on..unless I can find an airport that doesn't have a scanner of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment